Gnadenfeld, aka Moor or Neu-Moor, was located in the Samara Province, on the Weisenseite of the Volga, Quandrant E-5, Map #6 (Stumpp). It was originally in the Kanton (County) of Krasny-Kut. In 1909 it was in the County of Gussenbach, District Novouzensk.
Gnadenfeld, referred to as Moor, or Neu-Moor, was a "daughter colony", founded by evangelicals in 1855, after villages became overcrowded on the Bergseite (right side - hilly side) of the Volga. There are two other Moor' s found on Stumpp maps. In Quandrant E-8, a village of Moor is located, and on the Bergseite, in Saratov Province Quadrant C-5, a third Moor is found, Russian name: Klutschi, oldest of the three," established July 1, 1766, one of the original "mother colonies". It is believed that many of the families that settled in Gnadenfeld were from the mother colony of Moor, as well as from Balzer, Hussenbach, Norka, Donhoff, and possibly other colonies. There is also a Gnadenfeld located in Molochna, Zaporozhye, South Russia.
The Samara region, more commonly called the Wiesenseite (valley or meadow side), was a well-watered rolling steppeland reaching from the Volga River to the Ural Mountains and south to Tsaritsyn (Volgograd). The Saratov side, the Bergseite (hilly side) reflected a terrain of hills and level areas. Both regions were well suited to agriculture.
GNADEN (Beauty - Grace - Mercy) FELD (Field) was located in the Jeruslan River basin. Fredrick Matthai in his book, (1865), "Die Deutschen Ansidelungen in Russland", (The German Settlers in Russia), stated that at a distance of three versts from Echeim there were three creeks that flowed together at Gnadenfeld - the Suchaja-Solanka, and he noted the village had a nice layout and could become in time a nice village. He said that trees grew freely and there were several divisions of pastureland. This was ten years after Gnadenfeld was established.
Gnadenfeld had in its possession 5,400 desyatin of land, according to the deed of July 1, 1871, which was, by the judgement of August 18, 1897, divided into 786 share-parcels, according to the existing male population. (Land Decision of the Area Supervisor of the Eleventh Section, Novouzensk District - Jacob Georgovitch Wagner).
PASTORS 1855 - 1868 - INTERIM PASTORS