The Lower Volga Villages
Saratov, Volga, Russia
Village of GALKA
Galka (Ust Kulalinka) was founded in August of 1764 as an Evangelical colony.
There were 43 families made up of 84 men, 73 women, for a total of 157 settlers.
These settlers came mostly from Hesse and the areas of the upper Rhine in the
period of 1763 to 1767. Galka had a total land amount of 7,000 desyatina (1 desyatina=2.7
acres). About one third of this land was suitable for farming and hay making.
Surnames in Galka
- Reisig, Schick, Schimpf, Schneider
AHSGR Village Coordinators
Merrill and Dorothy (Kerbs) Younkin (Galka)
200 James Street #104
Edmonds WA 98020
Jayne Wunsch Dye
Crossing the Canadian/US
border 1895 - 1954 By Jane Wunsch Dye
Return to Lower Volga Village
Direct any comments or questions about the Lower Volga Village Project
to Kathy O'Malley at email@example.com The
webmaster can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org