The village of Moor, Russian name Klutschi/Kljutschi, was founded 1 July, 1766. There were 61 families, 149 men and 127 women, making a total 276 Protestants.
Located about 62 versts from Saratov, Moor was one of 33 crown colonies established by the Russian government on the Bergseite (hilly side) of the Volga River. Like many Volga colonies, Moor evidently took its German name from the surname of its first Vorsteher (village head). It was located in Saratov Providence, District of Balzer, Quadrant C-5 on the Stumpp map of Volga Colonies.
There are two other Moor colonies found on the Stumpp map: Gnadenfeld, referred to as Moor, or Neu Moor, a "daughter colony" founded by evangelicals in 1855, on the Weisenseite (meadow side) of the Volga, located in Samara Province, Quadrant E-5 of map #6; and in Quandrant E-8, another village of Moor, located in the District of Pallasowka, Weisenseite of the Volga. There is also a Neu-Moor listed in the District of Balzar. AHSGR Work Paper No. 25, Winter, 1977 - The First Statistical Report on the Volga Colonies, Dated February 14, 1769, showed Klutschin (Moor) (62 versts from Saratov), Families suited for Agriculture 60 - Families not suited 4 - 64 Total Population - 137 Males - 114 Females - Total 251 Livestock - Horses 255, Work Oxen 2, Cows and Calves 148, Sheep 11, Swine 21 Buildings Constructed - Houses 37, Granaries 0, Stables 0
Moor was in the Parish of Ust-Solicha (Messer), Reformed Gemenide, founded 1766, Kreis Kamyschin. In 1865 Moor had 2,650 inhabitants. The distance from the parsonage was 11 versts, and there were 411 children in the church school. (Fredrick Matthai, "Die Deutschen Ansidelungen in Russland" - 1865)
SETTLEMENTS IN 1897 CENSUS (AHSGR Journal/Winter 1990) showed: Moor (Klyuchi) - Total Population 3,109 - 1,564 Males - 1,545 Females - 3,103 Protestants
In 1990, Moor was among the Volga villages listed as inhabited and still with old houses. ( "Current Status of German Villages in the Volga Region," Theresa Dahn, AHSGR Journal/Summer 1990)
No printed lists of residents of Moor have been found. Because of overcrowded conditions, many of the families from Moor resettled in the "daughter colony" of Gnadenfeld, aka Neu-Moor, Samara Province, when it was founded in 1855. (See List of Surnames Village of Gnadenfeld)